Compounding combines an ageless art with the latest medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology, allowing specially trained professionals to prepared customised medications to meet each patient’s specific needs. Compounding is fundamental to the profession of pharmacy and was a standard means of providing prescription medications before drugs began to be produced in mass quantities by pharmaceutical manufacturers.
The demand for proefessional compounding has increased as healthcare professionals and patients realise that the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available do not meet the needs of many patients, and that these patients often have a better response to a customised dosage form that is “just what the doctor ordered”.
Compounding professionals can prepare:
- unique dosage forms containing the best dose of medication for each individual
- medications in dosage forms that are not commercially available, such as transdermal gels, troches, “chewies”, and lollipops
- medications free of problem-causing excipients such as dyes, sugar, lactose, or alcohol
- combinations of various compatible medications into a single dosage form for easier administration and improved compliance
- medications that are not commercially available.
Compounding professionals can formulate suitable medications as sublingual drops, oral and nasal sprays, lollipops, rectal solutions and suppositories, and other customised dosage forms.
Please contact your local Advantage Pharmacy to discuss the process of ordering your compounding needs.