Blocked & Stuffy Nose
A stuffy nose, otherwise known as nasal congestion or simply the sniffles, is usually caused by inflamed blood vessels in the tissue lining of the nose. This could be a result from the common cold or flu, allergies or a sinus infection. Nasal congestion typically subsides over a week, however it is best to seek medical advice if a stuffy nose is accompanied by any one of the following:
- Pressure in the forehead, eyes, side of the nose or cheek;
- Blurred vision;
- Increased throat pain, or white spots on the tonsils or other parts of the throat;
- Coughing episodes that last longer than 10 days;
- A cough that produces yellow-green gray mucus;
- A stuffy nose that lasts longer than 2 weeks and significantly interferes with your life.
Advantage Pharmacies offer a range of products that can help unblock a stuffy nose and help boost your immune system for a speedier recovery.
Inhalations and saline solutions are ideal for gentle relief of a blocked & stuffy nose for both children and adults.
The soothing aromas of lavender, rosemary and eucalyptus are found in Vicks Baby Balsam, which can be used to massage on your baby’s chest. This product is suitable for children 3 months plus. Additional products which contain menthol and camphor may be found in the Vicks range which can provide adults with further relief from nasal congestion.
Saline solutions help to soothe and moisten dry nasal passages and also wash away airborne allergens, dust and pollen. These products are suitable for both children and adults. Saline Sprays are non-medicated saline solution which can be used as frequently as required, and may provide additional benefit if used prior to any other medicated nasal sprays.
For extra relief of a blocked and stuffy nose, an addition of a medicated nasal spray and/or oral tablet may be useful. Nasal decongestant sprays help to clear blockages quickly by reducing nasal congestion and drying up the secretions of the nose. Dimetapp Nasal Spray 12 Hours Spray, like most decongestant sprays, can be used by children above the age of 6, but should not be used for a period longer than four to five days. Sinus headache and pain are sometimes associated with nasal congestion. For adults and children 12 years and over with any associated pain or fever with a blocked nose, Sudafed Sinus and Pain PE Tablets, can be taken to provide temporary relief.
- Drink plenty of fluids to thin your mucus and keep your sinuses well hydrated.
- Rest as much as you can.
- Warm face packs held over the sinuses may help to ease pain.
- Steam inhalations, often with eucalyptus, can help to reduce nasal congestion.
- Use over-the-counter medicines to help relieve your symptoms.
- Take a supplement to help boost your immune system.
- Limit your alcohol intake, as this can worsen sinusitis.